Saturday, January 17, 2009

New Series of Smaller Works

I have working on a new series this month. They are much smaller than any of my previous works, 12" x12". They are based on my impression of Yellowstone NP, from the one time I have been there. We visited in April, I think. There were still several feet of snow on the ground all the lakes were completely frozen over, the sky was overcast overhead and totally clear on the horizon in every direction. The burned-over landscape from the '80s fires there seemed so strange with many of the fire damaged trees scraping at the gray sky. Everything was back-lit. This definitely reinforced the connection in my mind between this land and the of the pictures in the National Geographic magazine articles detailing those fires.

5 comments:

Judy Huntzinger said...

Oh, I love these! I would love to see a picture of these on a wall. I need to imagine just how they really are because I know the pictures don't do the painting justice. I'll be excited to hear how these sell. Love your family scripture.

Judy Huntzinger said...

Also glad you blogged.

Judy Huntzinger said...

I have been missing your blog lately and have now seen the 2 previous ones (yes, and commented). Can't trust the thing that tells you that someone has a new blog. Now I know.
(the comment I deleted was because it posted the first comment twice, didn't think you need that!)

Charlotte said...

Love these new paintings. They are sure fun to watch you paint as well (since you've been doing them at home =)

Alyssa said...

I like these a lot. The evergreens go really well with the technique you use.