Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Your Dad actually does this full time?

 


Bird in Bare Branches (36 x 47) (my first completed painting after art school)

My son was recently assigned to make a Power Point about his favorite professional artist for his school art class.  He chose me (which he explained was not just because I was his dad, but because he actually really likes the materials I use to paint).  After he gave his presentation, his teacher asked, "Your dad actually does this full time?"  This gave me a minute to reflect how this all began.  Although I graduated from the U of U with an emphasis in Painting and Drawing and Ceramics, my pursuit of forming a company to provide a stable income put my paintings on the back burner.  It wasn't until 2006, as I worked on a client's house, that I was encouraged to paint 3 pieces for their house.  I painted four, they bought three immediately and later came back for the fourth.  This gave me the confidence to pursue my real love.  It's been pretty gratifying to find that other people enjoy my artwork enough to allow me to do this full time.


No comments: