Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Have you found fragments of the wild in your midst?

 

“Gully”

52 x 84

Most of my formative years were lived in different parts of Virginia. There, I often found myself retreating from a problematic childhood, alone or with siblings, to the "woods" which were residual strips of undeveloped forest, between the suburban houses, neighborhoods, and strip-malls. Everyone wants a house in the woods, but they also want a lawn so little strips of woods are left between each house and become byways for all kinds of wildlife.


I became fascinated by the architecture of these forest ruins, and noticed I felt a kinship with the fauna also struggling to live among the humans. I was mostly into adulthood before I began to understand that everyone's childhood was disappointing on some level, and that most of us are left feeling detached and apart. 

Have you found this true in your life?  Do you have a little patch of “wild” where you retreat?


-Tyler

No comments: