Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oliver made us a Treat

Here is a little gift Ollie made before I left. I don't think he saw the camera,or at least didn't know I was filming him. I had it down near my leg so it's not the best cinematography, I know. He seems to be having a really hard time apologizing because he is so proud of his efforts. I think he really doesn’t quite believe that we aren’t more appreciative – later I think he finally "gets it" (not even close) and starts to explain that I “can have some.”





The most unfortunate part, I guess, is that he used 3 $7 containers of Stephen’s branded hot chocolate mix and one of their wassail mixes.
Also in there are a can of grits, the remainder of a can of instant oats, and as I was cleaning up I realized he did, in fact, put the strawberries in there, in that he had put like 4 individual size packets of strawberry flavored instant oatmeal.

I wonder how often our Heavenly Father thinks of our efforts summarily. I would think he must at least where it come to much of our economic “development”. Like turning the amazingly majestic trees of the redwood forests into railroad ties and mine timbers. I guess he might think it was great – or could care less for all I know. I am sure I can’t really guess which efforts he would think fit such an allegory better than another, his perspective is just too different. I do think there has got to be a lot of our efforts that he views as just as productive as I view Oliver’s’ in this instance.


What do you think might fit in this category?

11 comments:

Collings Family said...

That made me laugh so hard! At least he has a good reason for making a mess. I ask my kids why they do stuff like that and they say "I don't know".

Unknown said...

sooo sad does this happen often with kids? I don't know if I should be sad for Oly or for you guys.

Tyler H said...

yes it seems to happen quite often with kids. I am not sure who I am sadder for either.

Laura said...

Did you let him try some? I mean, after all the work he put in, it would have been interesting to add water and let him have a try. You never know, it could be great!

Tyler H said...

Interesting... I actually had the same thought. I figured all the stuff he put in there is pretty good and all of it is "just add water" so how bad could it be. I tried making a little- pretty bad was the answer actually it was certainly more of a "treat" dry but that was A LOT of cocoa to eat dry enough he could eat all of it in a week if it was all he ate. Those cans were basically totally full I am not sure more than one cup was made from each of them.

Charlotte said...

I always love how you turn these little things into something "deeper." Hmmmm... how about "Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me." We try to make our actions seem like something other than they are. I think Ollie knew he did the wrong thing... he just wanted to make it right.

Charlotte said...

HE make such a mess emmaline

Ninth Mode said...

I love his hand expressions. He has a real future as an artist, a chef, and an attorney.

I started my blog! Thanks for suggestion, Tyler.

emily and logan said...

just so you know, this video makes me want to have kids even more. i'm sure you were i annoyed, but it was pretty cute.

Tyler H said...

Of course you can only be so upset with such a cute little person.

tim said...

yeah, it was cute and he is cute. I'm glad you didn't go too hard on him. I'm sure it was a pain to clean and a waste of food etc. but he was so proud of himself.
It sure beats trying to clean Sam's early artistic endeavors... his multiple finger painting sessions on his bedroom wall with his feces. We never could get the smell out completely no matter what i tried. We just moved.