Wednesday, June 25, 2008

'Catalpa' 60"x48"


I have always loved these overlooked trees. Rarely have a I ever seen this tree on the "right side of the tracks". Usually it is the tree that springs up in the poorest neighborhoods (some of which are becoming more desirable). I have seen it growing right up through the middle, and out the window of a row-house in southeast Washington, DC and in slag piles in Oakland, CA.
Unfortunately, I often see their naturally, characteristic conical crowns, truncated for overhead power lines. Their beautiful blooms, huge leaves, and the long bean pods (seen in the painting), have always drawn my attention.

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

Wasn't sure about this one when I first saw it... but after seeing it in our house for a while, I think it's amazing. What did Marie think of it?

Collings Family said...

It makes me so nostalgic for the trees back east. I love the colors you used as well.

Laura said...

Catalpa trees are my grandma's favorite, and when we were young she showed us what they looked like, and whenever we were driving around we would search diligently for them, then yell out, "Catalpa Tree!" whenever we saw one. Thanks for the memory. The painting is great.

Tyler Bastian said...

Tyler,
Enjoy your blog. Your finishes are amazing. I miss learning from you!
Tyler Bastian

Charlotte said...

Hey- Heidi's neighbor has one of these and she was just telling me how much she loved that tree. Don't know if she checked this out or not=)