Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Theft


I've heard that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, maybe theft could be seen as some sort of flattery as well?  My painting processes involve layering that often require extensive drying time.  I am often impatient with pauses- especially when I feel the work is progressing well.  On a warm, sunny day last month.  I took one of my larger pieces outside to speed the last drying so I could get a signature on this finished work.  Unfortunately, someone came along (maybe looking for scrap wood?) and took that painting.  At first I thought he didn't realize that it was a painting- but after watching the playback, he clearly looks at it before he lifts it over his head.  It's interesting how vulnerable theft can make you feel- even if you are an unintended victim.  I'm sure he has no idea how many hours I spent, not only on the actual painting, but envisioning it in my mind.  Although I was painting others in that series simultaneously (as I often do), the feeling of loss is still pretty intense.  Maybe if I can just convince myself of the flattery...

I'll share more of the video on FB and IG for anyone interested in some sleuthing.  How should you feel about his and how would you get past the self blame and other negative thoughts?

No comments: