Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Reflections


 Waiting (11 x 11)

Today my son is graduating from Davis High School.  It's kind of an interesting time of transition and reflection.  In that vein, I've been taking a look at my "artist statement".  Trying to discover why I paint is something I think about a lot but find almost impossible to understand.  There is an intrinsic element of failure in the pursuit.  Here is a portion of my attempt at articulating a statement.

Painting is an expression of my search for a connection with the seemingly alien world around me.  I am fascinated by the way living objects affect each other and are changed by the world around them: the spacing of birds roosting; the texture of feathers fluffed against the cold; the tortured growth of trees bent, or even broken by the wind; the way branches arch to make way for the traffic of a road.  My paintings reflect my personal mythology, the result of many hours, daily, of internal narrative.  I hope that others can find some personal meaning in my distraction.

No comments: