Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Is my artwork any good?


Awaiting the Morning 
40 x 30

 I often wonder what would make people choose my artwork over someone else’s.  I don’t know the answer to that, but there are some things that I particularly like about my work.  I think it is unique in that, although somewhat abstract, the subject matter is identifiable.  As a result, the viewer is invited to find their own meaning without me forcing some hidden agenda.  In addition, I spend a lot of effort to make it look effortless.  There is a point where adding details might make a piece look overworked instead of more visually appealing.  It is a constant push and pull that I am continually working through.  As I’ve mentioned before, although I love the deep umber tones of bitumen, I use a lot of bright spray paint in especially the beginning stages of my pieces.  I think this adds depth to a painting without it being readily apparent.  Although I love to try new things, in some ways I keep coming back to the landscapes, birds and trees that constantly pull me as I navigate through life.

No comments: