Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Energy and Drive (How to get projects done)

 After reading this title, you might think this newsletter will be all about productivity and getting things done- but let me assure you I am still trying to figure that all out.  This year has been one of huge transitions for me.  Because of some restructuring with the decorative paint company I started in 2000, I have been able to devote almost all of my time to painting.



While I've often felt like it was my dream for painting to become my full time job - it's proven to be more of a challenge than expected.  In the past, my paintings have been a mad rush between projects where I frantically stayed up at the studio for days on end in an attempt to get the images in my head into the  world.  Since these painting interludes proved fewer than I would have liked, I could live with this unorthodox schedule for short periods of time and maintain productivity and a family life.  I'm finding that this isn't sustainable over time and finding the energy and drive is difficult.

So how am I combating this?  A couple of ways... I'm being sure to apply to art shows so that I have some set deadlines.  I'm accepting more commissions which, although they don't necessarily have hard deadlines, do have some commitment to completion.  And lastly, I'm trying some really inventive techniques and ideas that may or may not prove to be successful- not because I have an end in mind, but just because they are fun.  

How do you stay motivated to remain productive in the most important parts of your life?

-Tyler

No comments: