Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Lessons learned (Is this old dog learning any new tricks?)


I was recently asked what lessons I have learned in my career as an artist.  This is a really difficult idea to articulate, but I think that my process feels less fragile and precious than when I began. I’m more willing to let parts go if it means making the whole piece better. Sometimes I have to make sacrifices to aid the direction of the piece. I’ve become willing to walk away from what I once thought were good ideas if they aren’t working. I’ve learned I have plenty of other ideas that will work. Trying to force a process is a huge waste of time. Sometimes the best option is to quit. 

The above picture is a painting from a Wolf Creek study that I stopped working on over a year ago.  I really liked the way the beginning stages were coming together with this painting and its sister, but I found myself stuck in the middle.  Instead of pushing through to an end point, I decided to set them aside.  A couple of weeks ago I decided to pick them up again.  After looking at them from a fresh perspective, I found the finish easily.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on the completed products pictured below.  They were a long time coming, but I feel satisfied with the result.


No comments: