Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Green River Collection (Where is the River?)


 On an early morning trip to Lake Powell, I was mesmerized by a misty sunrise that highlighted the red-rock, coral banks of the Green River.  The stark green of the junipers in the middle of nowhere creates really beautiful combinations that I am sometimes able to capture in this study through an exaggerated color palette. The color is intellectualized at least as much as the forms.  The trees are a devised symbol for elements of that landscape.  The colors become more symbolic than an actual representation of the colors seen.

Most notably missing from my "Green River" series is the river.  These pieces are formed by mostly random brush strokes that I use to begin to create a feeling experienced while I was there.  I hopefully add enough more intentional brush strokes to make it so that others can also find that familiar landscape.


Have you visited “Green River”?  Did I capture anything familiar to you?

 

-Tyler



 

No comments: