Wednesday, September 21, 2022

The pull of pottery (how I got stuck spinning pots)

 

(Ceramic piece in place in a collector's home)

Recently our family has enjoyed the HBO show "Pottery Throw Down."  Besides the obvious entertainment value of the show, it has me reminiscing about my own ceramics journey.


I was just finishing up my last semester of my art degree with an emphasis in Painting and Drawing at the University of Utah when I signed up for a wheel thrown pottery class.  I had always wanted to take that class, but just hadn't found the time to do it.  The first assignment was to throw a 6" cylinder.  It seemed easy enough until I realized that for me, it was almost impossible to center the clay.  

After futiley trying for several hours, I called my wife to tell her I wouldn't be coming home until I figured this out.  That resulted in four days where I don't remember leaving the seat of the wheel.  After completing the assignment, I promptly went to the office of the register to sign up for a further two years of pottery classes before graduating vowing to not leave the University until I had conquered this medium.  Of particular interest to me where the Shino glazes and the lusters and iron oxide effects from slight chemical alternations.  I continue to be attracted to similar effects in my paintings.

Have you ever tried wheel thrown pottery?  Did you find it as difficult as I did?

-Tyler

No comments: