Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Wired Murmurations

 Many of the difference in the U.S. and Philippines can be symbolized by the arrangement of our power lines.  Here is an example I observed in Manila.  


Power lines and telephone wires and their interaction with birds have always fascinated me.  In fact, observing that phenomena as a young child is the first place I remember thinking about the concept of "personal space."  There seems to be a rhythm to how the birds sit together- whether close or far away.  And there does always seem to be one that breaks that pattern by either sitting too close or further away.  I find the rhythm and the display of the bird's physique against the backdrop of the sky particularly appealing and have I have painted those scenes numerous times.

"Congregation"
41 x 73
Do you notice birds on wires or is it just me?



No comments: