Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Underpainting


ATTENTION! The following work is NOT finished. That is why it is scary. Actually, it isn’t nearly as scary in the photos as it is IRL. Weird, because usually I feel like the photos of my finished work don't look nearly as good as the real paintings. This is how most of my paintings get started. A lot of very active strokes in basic colors. Sometimes there are even circles or other seemingly arbitrary elements.

I am going to postpone the "subject matter" post for some later date. I have committed (unwisely maybe) to another show at Evergreen Gallery. The opening is April 18th, I think they told me. I would love to see all of you there is you can make it. I could get you a invite if you make sure I have your address. If nothing else I would be able to send you a postcard with an image of a painting of mine. If you don't know if i have your address just go to my paintings website and use the "contact" button to send me an email.
Anyway, I have been trying to get a bunch of work finished for that. This effort is still not going as well as I have hoped. I know I am a little distracted, but usually I am able to work out more than I have this time. I am definitely trying some new things, including more color variation. The color has pretty much always been the most exciting aspect of paint- any of my art really. I think I do pretty well with color combinations for décor, but it is being quite frustrating in my paintings right now. When I first started paintings a couple of years ago, I was experiencing some similar feelings. At that time I just avoided it and figured I would get back to it. Maybe I still need to do that….

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely, definitely want to come to your show. Please send us an invite!

Leslie said...

i'd love a postcard since we can't come. i'll email you my parents' address up there, though. maybe they'll come check it out . . .

Charlotte said...

It's always interesting to me to watch you paint. I'll think you have it just perfect and suddenly you paint over the whole thing with black asphalt! I never have the "vision." Luckily you do- and the results look fantastic.

Tyler H said...

The shown under-painting is currently almost totally blue and gray (silver), translucent of course ant with many dots of the bright red "burning" back through to the surface.

Judy Huntzinger said...

Its pretty scary! I know in the long run it will be wonderful, but until then..... its just scary. See you very soon

Rachel H said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I appreciate it as I am a fan of your work- I asked you a question on my blog but I'll post it here too so you don't miss it.

You suggested a glaze over top my mural. Would you mind elaborating as to what you might do? Thanks!