Monday, February 11, 2008

Recently

So now that I am back, I am trying to rebuild some kind of client base for Iconography here in Utah. I do wish I was totally rebuilding somewhere I actually wanted to live. I think moving right now just is too inconvenient for obvious reason. Actually there always seems to be a reason. Maybe there is something i have to learn here that i couldn't learn elsewhere... any ideas? I am a little worried about that, but I think this is like the third or fourth time I have had to basically start over, and it seems to have worked out fine each time so far. I hope this time the effort will yield similar results. It will certainly be interesting with the limited schedule I guess I will have for the next few weeks. I hope it will be a few weeks anyway.

This past year I have been able to make time to paint much too infrequently. I find that this pattern makes it hard to maintain any of what I figure out with my paintings. I have spent a little over a week painting now, with pretty much nothing to show for it. It often it has taken about 2 weeks before I have been able to really expect to have the control I need to be able to expect many of my paintings to work . I have never been able to get all of them to work, but I certainly don’t remember it being this frustrating since I first started getting some things to work.

Shown here is my most recently finished piece. I like so many things about it, however it has some MAJOR surface integrity problems, so I could never in good conscience sell it. This problem resulted from a misstep with one of the technical issues I have worked out long ago but just forgot. I really don’t think I will be forgetting that one again. My paintings are kind of a mass of paint and paint-like products that I try to keep just at the edge of totally out of control. My hope is that this will keep a spontaneity and almost effortless look to them even after I have labored over them for a few weeks or much longer in some cases. I wish I had enough skill and audacity to be able to actually just throw stuff together and have something worthwhile come out at the other end, but that kind of painting experience has mostly escaped me so far. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that periodically my efforts at the edge of control will go over that line in a way that is just plain unsalvageable. Actually, given my level experience here it should actually be amazing that MOST of these efforts would be fruitless

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like that painting--I guess the picture doesn't show the flaws you were talking about, but I like the feeling from it.

Collings Family said...

Where do you get your ideas from? Do you look at something live or have a picture for reference? How do you know which colors you want to use? Why do you always paint trees?

Charlotte said...

I'm so sad that painting didn't work out. It's hard to tell right now that it won't last! At least you learned some things from it.

L Huntz said...

Won't massive amounts of fixative make its surface last (almost) forever??

It looks great.

Tyler H said...

I did put about 5 thick coats of the clear I use in my paintings on top. but the crackle is no where near filled in and the imagery is getting obscured.