Thursday, November 15, 2007

bogged down


The little bedroom (how it looks today) that I have been working on for weeks.


I have noticed that things rarely seem to be going well (quickly) on my painting jobs and then all the sudden everything is done. Sounding like a real optimist here… Anyway I am at that point that it seems like nothing is getting done day after day and I am supposed to be done tomorrow I really don’t see how this could possibly happen. We are going to be working late into the night again tonight- in fact we have been working 10-15 hour days since we got here. We are currently working on the master bedroom walls. We are doing kind of a subtle bi-directional stria (streaking horizontal and vertical) in warm creamy white over a mauvey brown basecoat that has been covered by a thin veil of translucent iridescent gold. I added a mica powder to water based polyurethane that only reflects a gold color when it catches the light, but is otherwise clear. Sorry, I am probably getting too basic here, don’t mean to offend. I will definitely post a picture later but I am sure most of the effects couldn’t be seen in photos even if you were comparing quite a few from different angles in different light. One of the downsides to the understated finishes I try to produce is that they rarely photograph well. I almost always hate it when the first thing you see when you walk into a room is the finish on the walls. When I see that I can almost hear the often accompanying “I Fauxed it!”

3 comments:

Leslie said...

it looks like you're going to be painting every single surface in that room. i hope she's payin' well! ;)

Tyler H said...

The rooms are a LOT smaller than they look in these pictures. The whole Condo is only about 3200sq/ft. I have been told it, when it is finally completed, will be worth about 15m. I guess thats NYC. Amazing to me how many people are will to live like this though. I suppose it helps to have a few other house to go to whenever you want. It is the penthouse of the very last building on Sutton Place, so it has amazingly unobstructed views of the East river. I didn't think the view was all that impressive till I stay in the Apt. this time and have found myself a little breath-taken more than once. As small as the room is this is the forth week with 4 people in that little room. As far a payment goes, "well" is very subjective and my idea of "well" seems to be changing very rapidly.

Charlotte said...

WOW! I hope it doesn't look as endless to you as it does to me. I miss you!